Friday, February 6, 2009

Udang Galah(tiger prawns),, a staple turns delicacy





I came back from office the other day and lo and behold what awaits me for a dinner dish.
A sumptuous plate of Udang Galah(local tiger prawns)!!!
I can recall during my growing up years ,the Udang Galah dish is not a delicacy that one consumes once in a while but almost like an everyday staple dish.

Indeed Udang Galah then was in abundance and great irony as compared now, a chicken meal is more rare than an Udang Galah meal,believe me.

The younger generation would never believe this fact as nowadays what with the fast outlets , a chicken dish is almost an everyday affair.

I used to follow a half mad cousin of my mother(yes really the late Pak Lamat is half mad) on fishing trips along the Sarawak river. The catch that was always to be relished and at times indeed in abundance were the Udang Galah.
Now i wonder why this great product of the Sarawak River is a rarity and it costs a bomb to buy them at the market.

So there i was ravishing my plate of Udang Galah over dinner and as usual old habits die hard.
I ate them with a liberal dosing of ketchup thus not really savouring its great taste!!!
What do i have then for dinner tonight?
What else but some dried pieces of fried chicken. Back to normal routine, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment