Monday, February 9, 2009

Golf ...To be or not to be linear,that's the question




Finally played some bit of golf over the weekend after a long hiatus.

The usual haunt for us is the Kuching Golf Club(KGS) and as in the lingo of golf you normally have your golf rounds with your "kaki" ( literally means feet don't know why!!!).
"Kaki" here actually means your usual golf buddies or partners.

Golf is a funny game actually, the more you tried in terms of physical efforts the worst your game will be. You must have a relaxed, composed mind to play any wonderful round of golf.

Reminds me of a book i read few years back by M. Scott Peck "Golf and the Spirit" where he relates in the book of playing on an imaginary golf course of his own design and littered each hole narration with wise words.
Wise words such as the wisdom of inner healing and indeed appreciating life is not linear as in Golf .
Just some illustrations:
Hole 1: Once there was a man of limited imagination who considered the progress of life to be straightforward.

Hole 9: A man whose perspective does not include the invisible connections between himself and the rest of the world is not just lonely but lost.

Hole 13: Competition is a choice in all aspects of life-even in business. The healthy or whole person will know when and how to compete-and when or how not to compete.

Beat that...i definitely will not be thinking of such wisdom if i were to tee off at the first hole.
My first and only worry is to make sure my first important shot is straight and have a decent distance.
Somehow for Golf i remembered more of the funny moments rather than any wise words from fellow golfers. To start off any wise words are a rarity from the so called "kaki"!!

My first golf game started off dramatically!!
I broke my Driver's club when i teed off on the first hole!!!

I once got hit by a golf ball while on the Green in one competition i was organising myself few years back (for the ignorant, the Green is where the hole is located!!!)..hm mm lucky i survived that!!

Few years ago I got attacked by a swarm of bees at one golf game when without realising i hit on my back swing its Hornet's nest.Lucky then i was fit enough to run a good 200 meters dash !!!

So Mr Peck, how i wished i can look back on my Golf games in the same philosophical and intellectual way as you do because all the time my mind is always preoccupied with how many pars that i manage to achieve, how many golf balls that i can avoiding losing and how to keep my score below 100( still a rare occasion...)
But then who said Golf is a linear game? That i agree with you totally because all the time my shot always not ended straight to the fairway but its constant non linearity make the ball always ending up in the bush or the pond.

1 comment: