Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wow,you have your own office!


I was at the Gold Coast last week, just taking a short week leave(hmmm ya sojourn) visiting Sydney,Brisbane but just a few hours at the Gold Coast.

After an hour canal ride (as they called it,more of a river ride) and disembarking at one of the few Marinas, an "object" caught my attention.

Hey,is that an office? Yup, an office on a boat, complete with all the amenities, fax machine chair, table you name it. It must be great working in that "boat hole"(pardon the pun!) , you can always take a break fishing without getting away from the office so to speak.

A wry smile i did have that day remembering the various offices or rather at times work space that i crammed myself for a good 10 hours of the day.

I started my career at a Multinational company and i remembered well my first office.

You see this company had this so called 'longhouse portacabin" for the technical department. No guess in saying that the main office with all its bricks and mortars building housed the Finance and Administration(or Human resource they loved to be called now).

I shared that crummy space with another engineer and the department's technical library!

I had no particular qualms about the spartan outlook of my office except that whenever it rained both me and my colleague had to put a bucket on top of our table for the water to drip from the leaks!!
I spent a good first 4 years of my career in that chicken coop but am i complaining? No!

For the job is interesting and demanding, working with great colleagues and indeed besides the need to pour out the water from the bucket once in a while that office hole indeed gave me a lot of fond memories

.Remember then nobody has a PC on their table (being in the early 80s) but i do have a BUCKET on my table,beat that!!!!

So lo my great expectations when i was transferred to a construction site in Pasir Gudang after that stint watching over the pail or rather bucket...i heard from my colleagues then who had a stint at these construction yards, being given big company cars, nice,plush office.

What kind of office did i get?
Ya you guess..another portacabin office and this one was more unique, it did not have any windows at all,really felt like in a detention place, the only great thing then was you finally had a secretary!

Spent good 3 years in that "detention office" but am i complaining? Again NO!! I really enjoyed my stint at this work site ,learning the practical aspects of the business and raising a young family.My daughter Diyana was born in Johor Bahru .

When i did get back to the company headquarters in Miri, being promoted, finally given a "big" office and a measure of your status was you were also given a big table in front of your own office table ,well mind you as a "boss" you need that table for your own internal meeting with your subordinates,really???

Hmmm...maybe one day i can have my own "boat office" , catch me if you can ,am off fishing!



No comments:

Post a Comment