Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fasting month, and a "tapai" to savour




Fasting month for us Muslims evoke a sense of a timely reminder of need to experience sacrifices and self discipline. From an early age we are taught on the various religious rituals that one must endure during the Ramadhan month.
When it comes to food to break fast, restraints somehow has gone amissing . Somehow without fail every fasting month my daily starter is always a tapai (fermented rice..) .I just cant explain this peculiar obsession of mine with the tapai because other days i did not touch a bit of the tapai.

The tapai is prepared by mixing rice with some form of yeast,i remembered my late grandmother when she declared that she was to prepare and make the tapai it always brought unbridled excitement to us all.
While she prepared this dish , nobody was allowed to chatter for fear that the tapai will turn into a sour taste rather than the much desired sweetened taste. My only explanation now is that to avoid the saliva from spoiling the fermentation process!!!

My confession as well now that i am not always keen to have my breaking of fast at some of these posh hotels that charged you a fortune purely because they do not serve my "compulsory" starter dish, the TAPAI!!!
So without fail everyday back from work ,a consistent chore will be to drop by at the Ramadan bazaar near my house and buy nasi ayam for Faizul, Mee jawa for Sabrina and without fail a ringgit's worth of tapai!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment