Wednesday, September 9, 2009

44 days of "damn-united"





The other night had the pleasure of watching the movie "Damn-United", a story that centred on Brian Clough's ill fated short stint as a manager of Leeds United, 44 days on the job to be exact. It also "dramatize" his personal feud with Don Revie the Leeds legend.
Yes i remembered that era...an era of Leeds and Liverpool's dominance in English football.Leeds indeed has a notorious reputation of playing "hard" and physical football.
Back to Brian Clough, what a man and egoistic to boot but one cant fault his honesty and frankness in dealing with his players and peers, and of course his quotes..

If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there." On the importance of passing to feet.

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." Looking back at his success.

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhea." On Man Utd opting-out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship.

"I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball - he might grab mine." On the influx of foreign players.

"I bet their dressing room will smell of garlic rather than liniment over the next few months." On the number of French players at Arsenal.

"Who the hell wants fourteen pairs of shoes when you go on holiday? I haven't had fourteen pairs in my life." On the contents of Posh Spice's missing luggage.

"Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job." On getting things done.

"On occasions I have been big headed. I think most people are when they get in the limelight. I call myself Big Head just to remind myself not to be." Old Big 'Ead explains his nickname.

"At last England have appointed a manager who speaks English better than the players." On the appointment of Sven Goran Eriksson as England manager.

"If he'd been English or Swedish, he'd have walked the England job." On Martin O'Neill.

"Anybody who can do anything in Leicester but make a jumper has got to be a genius." A tribute to Martin O'Neill.

"The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns." A Clough complement for a talented player.

"Stand up straight" get your shoulders back and get your hair cut." Advice for John McGovern at Hartlepool.

Clough ironically started his managerial career at Hartlepool, the club incidentally that i still keep contact with!!!Ya the club that was in the "twinning" programme with Sarawak football team during the times when i was in charge of Sarawak football,,,Russ Green the Hartlepool CEO and myself had some great ideas together how to revolutionise Sarawak football .Wonder how Clough would have reacted seeing the manner we run our football , but then that man is unique and he's been called "big head"for nothing!

Yes Brian Clough the greatest football manager that never manage the England Team!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sir,

    I wish to communicate with you. Feel free to visit www.utusanlfc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete