Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Birmingham uh



it was so like yesterday i remembered myself as a long haired student in 1980 at Birmingham University. so my recent trip yo England i took an opportunity to drop by at the place,.Taking a train from Euston and arriving at New street Birmingham my memories flood back but i was not prepared for the massive and impressive changes to Bullring area.Wow man it was high class shopping zone with the iconic selfridges building imposing itself well.I did manage to take a bus to selly oak and met up with my son"s friend Farhan who incidentally was also taking chemical engineering.The chem eng faculty has seen some changes(obviously) but the red brick buillding where i spent 3 years of trying to grasp the fundamentals of thermodynamics,fuild fow,catalytic reaction blah blah was still as elegant as before. it seemed so eerie as joined the muslim students for the university islamic society welcoming function for new students. I sat there (dont feel old though) listening to a one and a half hour lecture on islam by a well meaning and knowledgeable PH d student and helped myself after prayers to a breaking of fast dinner....well reminiscent ofthose days as u sat squatting on the floor eating the "biryani" and chicken in liberal doses!!!thank you Farhan for allowing uncle(that"s me) to enjoy back my days as a student before.

No comments:

Post a Comment